In this lesson students explore the need for strong passwords and design an algorithm to create a strong password generator using the micro:bit.
- To understand the need for secure password and what makes a password secure.
- To plan, test and debug an algorithm for a password generator.
- To use selection and variables in an algorithm and explain their use.
You will need
- Lesson plan
- Lesson slides
- Student handouts
- password generator planning
- password pseudocode example
- password generator planning support
Paper - rough, sticky notes
Lessons created in partnership with Nominet
Introduction: What is a password breach? (5 minutes)
Guess the password (5 minutes)
Why are strong passwords important? (10 minutes)
Password generator challenge (10 minutes)
Writing algorithms (20 minutes +)
Testing and debugging algorithms (5 minutes)
Review and wrap up (5 minutes)
Opportunities for assessment
This content is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0) licence.