In this series of 5-6 lessons aimed at pupils in the first year of secondary school, students learn about 'health tech', the use of technology to improve health. They develop and apply their knowledge and understanding of computational thinking and real-life problem-solving by working in teams to create their own prototype health tech innovation.
The lesson sequence includes:
- Research health issues and technology
- Brainstorm health tech innovation ideas
- Innovation prototyping
- Prototyping & preparing presentations
- Health tech prototypes showcase (can run over two lessons)
- understand and apply the fundamental principles & concepts of computer science.
- gain practical experience of writing computer programs to solve problems.
- evaluate and apply information technology, including new or unfamiliar technologies analytically to solve problems
- be responsible, competent, confident and creative users of information and communication technology.
Problem-solving, collaboration, critical thinking, creative thinking, prototyping, presenting, researching.
You will need
- Lesson plan
- Lesson slides
- Student handouts
- HEX files
- paper - large sheets
- student work from previous lesson
Lessons created in partnership with Nominet