In the Fitness friend activity students create a simple wearable device to give regular reminders to do some exercise.
In the Heart rate monitor activity students learn how to measure their heart rate and create a prototype of a heart rate monitor.
In the Walking for water activity students learn how some children have a daily walk for water and create a step counter to track their steps.
- To understand the importance of regular exercise to help prevent heart disease
- To consider how wearable devices can support people to exercise and track their activity level
- To design, code and test a prototype of a wearable device to remind people to exercise using the BBC micro:bit
- can analyse problems in computational terms, and have repeated practical experience of writing computer programs in order to solve such problems
- can evaluate and apply information technology, including new or unfamiliar technologies, analytically to solve problems
- are responsible, competent, confident and creative users of information and communication technology
Creative thinking, prototyping, testing, debugging, collaboration, evaluation.
You will need
- Lesson plan
- Lesson slides
- HEX files
- elastic bands (optional)
- MakeCode editor
- micro:bit battery packs
- paper - large sheets
- paper - rough
- sticky tape (optional)