Step 1: Make it
What is it?
Turn your micro:bit into a scrolling name badge with just a few instructions.
How it works
- The micro:bit’s LED display output can show words and numbers as well as pictures.
- This program shows you how to scroll text across the screen to let people know your name and show a picture.
- An infinite loop keeps the sequence going until you unplug the micro:bit from its battery or USB lead.
- Scrolling text on LED displays are often used to show bus and train information. What other uses can you think of for scrolling text on micro:bits?
What you need
- micro:bit (or MakeCode simulator)
- MakeCode or Python editor
- battery pack (optional)
Step 2: Code it
Step 3: Improve it
- Make different messages appear if you press button A or B.
- Spell out your name one letter at a time.
- Design a way of wearing your micro:bit badge using thread, tape or velcro. (Don't use safety pins as the metal could damage your micro:bit.)
This content is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0) licence.