Digital nature representations
Pupils are introduced to the BBC micro:bit and how images can be created using the LEDs. They create visual algorithms to plan simple images before writing programs using the MakeCode editor to create their images.
- To understand that LEDs can be used to create image representations.
- To plan LED image representations.
- To construct programs to display LED image representations with the micro:bit.
You will need
- Lesson plan
- Lesson slides
- Student handouts: Items to represent with LEDs
- HEX file: Simple images 1
MakeCode editor, micro:bits (optional)
Introduction: micro:bit nature art (5 minutes)
Representing images with LEDs (10 minutes)
Planning LED images (10 minutes)
Programming LED representations (10 minutes)
Paired programming (15 minutes)
Evaluating images (10 Minutes)
Opportunities for assessment