In this series of 5 lessons aimed at pupils aged 8-9 years (KS2 Year 4 in England), pupils develop their understanding of flowchart algorithms, selection and inputs and outputs by using electrical circuits and the BBC micro:bit to test the conductivity of different materials.
The unit comprises 5 lessons of approximately 60 minutes each:
- Unplugged lesson building electrical circuits and testing materials
- Unplugged lesson exploring selection and flowchart algorithms
- Tinkering with inputs on the micro:bit using the MakeCode editor
- Electrical conductivity testing with the micro:bit
- Unplugged review, decomposing learning in the unit
- can understand and apply the fundamental principles and concepts of computer science, including abstraction, logic, algorithms and data representation
- have repeated practical experience of writing computer programs in order to solve problems
- can evaluate and apply information technology
- are responsible, competent, confident and creative users of information and communication technology
Creative thinking, collaboration, problem-solving, testing.