Create a flood warning system
Alert homeowners to the risk of flooding with your prototype
This is one of a series of resources to support the use of the BBC micro:bit in Design and Technology lessons.
Flooding is becoming increasingly common in parts of the United Kingdom and causes a lot of damage to peoples' homes. The sooner a potential flood can be detected, the more time homeowners have to prepare and to save their property.
In this unit of learning, learners will identify the design problems presented by flooding. They will then develop a working flood warning system using the BBC micro:bit.
Activity info, teachers' notes and curriculum links
In this activity, learners will develop their programmable system using the BBC micro:bit using a moisture sensor to detect the water level in the system.
The activity sheet includes teachers' notes, useful web links, and links (where appropriate) to the national curriculum in each of the four devolved nations; England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
- Activity overview - Create a flood warning system activity description, teachers' notes and curriculum links
- Presentation - Developing the program with a moisture sensor
- Handout - Using a moisture sensor and programming - student handout with example programs
- Hex programming file - Example programming file using the MakeCode editor
- Py programming file - Example programming file using the Python editor
- Quiz - How important is water to human life? Take the quiz and test your knowledge - but be careful because each wrong answer will result in an increase of bacteria in the water supply