Create a portable beep tester
Manufacture the beep tester using the BBC micro:bit
This is one of a series of resources to support the use of the BBC micro:bit in Design and Technology lessons.
Technology can be used in sports to enhance performance and help participants to improve their fitness and stamina. For example, automated beep tests can be used to monitor fitness levels during training sessions, and set targets for future improvement.
In this unit of learning, learners will use the BBC micro:bit to develop a prototype for an electronic beep test that can be used to help people monitor and improve their fitness levels.
Activity info, teachers' notes and curriculum links
In this activity, learners will use a vacuum former to manufacture a suitable casing and integrate the programmable system into a completed product.
The activity sheet includes teachers' notes, useful web links, and links (where appropriate) to the national curriculum in each of the four devolved nations; England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
- Activity overview - Create a portable beep tester activity description, teachers' notes and curriculum links
- Presentation - Creating a portable beep tester
- Handout - Manufacturing the product - student handout with example program
- Hex programming file - Example programming file using the MakeCode editor
- Py programming file - Example programming file using the Python editor