This is one of a series of resources to support the use of the BBC micro:bit in Design and Technology lessons.
People are always looking for ways to save energy. It is estimated that the average UK homeowner could save up to £240 a year alone on the cost of lighting their home.
Activity info, teachers' notes and curriculum links
In this activity, learners will develop their programmable lighting system using the BBC micro:bit.
The activity sheet includes teachers' notes, useful web links, and links (where appropriate) to the national curriculum in each of the four devolved nations; England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
Saving lighting energy - Exploring how the BBC micro:bit sensors can be used to help reduce the overall amount of energy that we use.Watch at IET.tv
- Activity overview - Design an automatic lighting system activity description, teachers' notes and curriculum links
- Presentation - An opportunity for students to develop their own program
- Handout - Developing the programmable system - student handout with example programs
- Hex programming file - Example programming file using the MakeCode editor
- Py programming file - Example programming file using the Python editor
- Audio - Lighting - Podcast produced by Fun Kids Radio as part of the Techno Mums series
- Audio - Smart lighting - Podcast produced by Fun Kids Radio as part of the Techno Mums series