Design a home energy system
Use the BBC micro:bit programmable system to create a working prototype
This is one of a series of resources to support the use of the BBC micro:bit in Design and Technology lessons.
Reducing energy usage in the home saves money, increases energy security and reduces the need to burn unsustainable fossil fuels. The first step in doing this is monitoring how much energy is used each day.
In this unit of learning, learners will use the BBC micro:bit to develop a prototype for a home energy usage monitoring system that will inform people how long they leave their lights and/or heating on during the day.
Activity info, teachers' notes and curriculum links
In this activity, learners will develop their energy monitoring system using the BBC micro:bit.
The activity sheet includes teachers' notes, useful web links, and links (where appropriate) to the national curriculum in each of the four devolved nations; England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
Home energy - BBC micro:bit home energy video.Watch at IET.tv
- Activity overview - Design a home energy system activity description, teachers' notes and curriculum links
- Presentation - Developing a prototype for a home energy usage monitoring system
- Handout - Programming the system
- Hex programming file - Example programming file using the MakeCode editor
- Py programming file - Example programming file using the Python editor