Design a home security system
Use the BBC micro:bit programmable system to create a working prototype
This is one of a series of resources to support the use of the BBC micro:bit in Design and Technology lessons.
Home security is increasingly important as homeowners look to ensure that their properties and possessions are protected from potential burglary. Alarm systems are being developed with increasingly complex embedded electronics and programmable components.
In this unit of learning, learners will research, program and develop a working door access and alarm system using the BBC micro:bit.
Activity info, teachers' notes and curriculum links
In this activity, learners will program a working door access and alarm system using the BBC micro:bit.
The activity sheet includes teachers' notes, useful web links, and links (where appropriate) to the national curriculum in each of the four devolved nations; England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
Home security - Exploring how the BBC micro:bit could be used to protect our homes from burglars when we are away.Watch at IET.tv
- Activity overview - Design a home security system activity description, teachers' notes and curriculum links
- Presentation - Creating the programmable system for home security
- Handout - Programming the system
- Py programming file - Example programming file using the Python editor
- Audio - Techno security - Podcast produced by Fun Kids Radio as part of the Techno Mum series