Using micro:bit with iOS - connecting via Bluetooth
Connecting your micro:bit to your iOS device allows you to code your micro:bit on-the-go using the official micro:bit app. Use this guide and the extensive help inside the app itself to learn how use the micro:bit with your iOS device!
2: Get the app for iOS
3: Before any kind of Bluetooth communication with the phone or tablet (pairing or flashing), enter pairing mode
4: Pair your micro:bit with the app using 'Choose micro:bit'
5: Start coding! Now you can re-program your micro:bit via Bluetooth.
Key tips for success:
- You should always enter pairing mode before trying to flash/program your micro:bit over Bluetooth
- Every time you program the micro:bit over USB it is fully erased, including pairing information. Therefore you must forget it iOS Settings-->Bluetooth and pair again.
What can I do with the iOS app?
You can also use the new 'Monitor and Control' section to watch the state of your micro:bit, and even trigger actions like button presses from your iOS device
The app has five sections:
- Choose micro:bit is where you go to pair/connect your phone/tablet (device) to your micro:bit
- A Flash gomb segítségével töltheted fel a kódodat (.HEX) az eszközödről (telefon/tablet) a micro:bit-re
- Monitor and Control allows you to observe real-time data from the micro:bit sensors, send messages directly to the LEDs and control the micro:bit buttons and pins from your iPad or iPhone. (Monitor is ideal for exploiting Bluetooth services in real-time, and for de-bugging your program code.) These facilities are only available if you have added Bluetooth services these to your program, or use one of the samples like ‘monitor-services’ in the 'Flash' page of the app.
- Ideas takes you to the micro:bit website where you can get ideas and examples from other people
How to 'pair' the micro:bit
'Pairing' is when you set up a connection between your micro:bit and your iOS device. The app searches for your micro:bit using using a unique pattern, and may prompt you for a passcode, if you are using an older program, or have configured Passcode Pairing in MakeCode
- Before pairing, download this HEX file and copy it onto the micro:bit via USB. It will update the Bluetooth pairing software on the micro:bit to the lastest version and run through the instructions for entering pairing mode.
- You enter pairing mode by holding down buttons A+B and pressing, then releasing the reset button on the back of the micro:bit while still holding A+B. Check out the video just above to learn more about pairing the micro:bit.
When you program the device over USB it will completely erase the previous program and settings, including any pairing information. This means that you will have to 'forget' your micro:bit in Settings->Bluetooth on your iOS device after each USB programming. You do not need to do this if you are only using Bluetooth to program your device.