Happy birthday to micro:bit SLUG
We are delighted to announce that micro:bit SLUG are celebrating their first anniversary!
Based in Sri Lanka, SLUG is a fast-growing group of volunteers from professional organisations and universities whose shared mission is to use the micro:bit as an educational tool to educate and to empower every child in the country.
In the last 12 months they’ve achieved some remarkable things: as well as recruiting more than 300 volunteers, and becoming the country’s official micro:bit community group, they’ve also…
- Reached over 3000 students and trained more than 50 teachers
- Held over 100 awareness sessions, as well as micro:bit Discovery Days in 25 districts
- Distributed more than 200 micro:bits, cost-free
- Created 'Start Your micro:bit Adventure', a series of YouTube tutorials
- Produced a special video series on the micro:bit, in conjunction with Nenasa TV channel and the Ministry of Education
- Published micro:bit Quick Start Guides in Sinhala and Tamil for distribution to over 100 teachers
- Translated Microsoft MakeCode – as well as the micro:bit website! – to Sinhala and Tamil
- Launched a trilingual support desk, offering free micro:bit support
That’s not bad going for just a year’s work! Congratulations to the team.To find out more, visit microbitslug.org